By Ozgur Tore
The Hualapai tribe worked to nominate the building, which is located near the Hualapai Cultural Center and the Hualapai Lodge on the longest remaining stretch of the historic “Mother Road.” The Hualapai Lodge serves as the starting point of the Hualapai River Runners, offering the only one-day Grand Canyon whitewater rafting trip. Tourism–including Grand Canyon West, Hualapai Ranch and Grand Canyon Skywalk–is the Hualapai Tribe’s primary source of income for economic development.
Built by a Swedish immigrant in 1929, this station served gas continuously on Route 66 in Peach Springs until its recent closure. The Hualapai Tribe plans to rehabilitate the building and reestablish fuel service, making it one of few historic Route 66 stations to still supply fuel to travelers and residents.
Post a Comment