Haida sculptor, Quebec filmmaker earn Governor General's Awards
Ryan won the award for outstanding contribution to Canadian art, a special award given at the same time as the Governor General's Awards for Visual Arts, which were announced Tuesday in Montreal.
The winners of the Governor General's Awards for career achievement in visual or media arts are:
* Haida sculptor Robert Davidson of White Rock, B.C.
* Filmmaker André Forcier of Longueuil, Que.
* Painter Rita Letendre of Toronto.
* Video artist Tom Sherman of Liverpool, N.S.
* Photographer Gabor Szilasi of Montreal.
* Painter Claude Tousignant of Montreal.
"Looking back, there was no talk about songs and dances until I carved that first totem pole in Masset," Davidson said.
"What that did, it became a catalyst, it was a magnet for all the elders of the time to talk about what had to be done to make the totem pole right."
Below: Supernatural Eye, a 2006 aluminum sculpture by Robert Davidson. (Kenji Nagai/Collection of the artist)